Question: croton


I would like to know if the croton plant is as poisonous as saudenville for cats ...

Answer: croton


Dear Laura,
the croton, codiaeum variegatum, is a shrub native to Malaysia, evergreen, in the apartment particular hybrid varieties are cultivated, with very colorful and decorative foliage; the leaves and flowers of the croton can be slightly toxic, if eaten by animals they can cause vomiting and nausea, but do not have a high toxicity (or at least, the studies so far have not shown the presence of highly toxic substances); The crotons belong to the euphorbiaceae family, and like all euphorbias, in the stems and leaves contain a particularly irritating white latex, which can cause serious problems if it comes into contact with the eyes and mucous membranes; but these are not problems related to the ingestion of the leaves, but to their contact with the care or the eyes; if something like this happens, the part that came into contact with the latex should be washed very well, and quickly, with warm water (this also applies if a human being comes into contact with latex, not just cats or dogs). Also the sundevilla, that is the version that loves the sun of the mandevilla (or dipladenia, depending on the name we prefer to use) is not toxic for cats, in the sense that if the leaves are ingested, the cats are not intoxicated and risk death; more than anything else also in this case the leaves contain a latex that can greatly irritate the skin, and that can cause nausea or vomiting in small animals. Instead, there are many plants that can be toxic to cats, which if ingested can show various signs of intoxication, ranging from dilated pupils, to serious cases of lack of appetite; some plants are very common, but usually it is very rare for cats to eat them; for example gardenia, castor oil plant, alocasia, calla lily, aloe, ilex, leaf asparagus, colchic, rhododendron, philodendron, ivy, kalanchoe, dieffenbachia, clematis, coleus, dracena; the list could be very long, but let's not worry too much, because usually cats hardly eat plants, especially if they have very leathery and waxy leaves; they prefer the tender stems of grass and even if they eat small quantities of potentially toxic plants, in the vast majority of cases the whole is resolved with a little vomit. Clear that if your cat is sick and you notice that it vomits pieces of leaf, take it to the vet and tell them you have plants in your home that can be toxic to your little friend.